Welcome to the Venice Ophthalmology Summer School
6th - 12th July 2025
SAVE THE DATE
SAVE THE DATE
Application: send a detailed CV with photo to:
edoardo.midena@unipd.it
Deadline for application: April, 5th 2025
edoardo.midena@unipd.it
Deadline for application: April, 5th 2025
Don Orione Artigianelli Cultural Center
In 2025 the Venice Ophthalmology Summer School will take place in the atmosphere of a more historical Venice, in a prestigious location currently known as “Don Orione Artigianelli Center”, next to the Accademia Bridge and the Gallerie dell’Accademia, with direct overview on Giudecca Canal (the Zattere quayside). In fact, the present name refers only to the history closest to us, from the early twentieth century.
But the monumental complex, as always in Venice, has much more ancient origins and, as often happens, religious ones. A religious order called the Gesuati, (because often repeating the name of Jesus) dedicated to the care of the sick and religious preaching, is present in Venice since the middle of 1400 and they promoted the building of the little church of St. Mary of the Visitation (1494, firstly church, then the library of the largest and neighboring Dominican church of Santa Maria dei Gesuati and now privately owned) with the adjoining monastery. The church is the first example of Renaissance building in Venice.
In 1669, the monastery and church were purchased by the Dominican order, a major order of Friars Preachers, who erected the new church of “Santa Maria del Rosario” (or Gesuati, 1724-1736) and began the extension of the monastery, as we see it today, under the direction of the architect Giorgio Massari. A clear and prestigious example of Baroque art in Venice.
Inside this church are still present some masterpiecess painted by the greatest Venetian artists of the eighteenth century, as Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Tintoretto, Sebastiano Ricci and Giovanni Battista Piazzetta.
From 1815 to 1867, after the suppression of all religious orders ordered by Napoleon Bonaparte, the building was managed by the Municipality of Venice as an orphanage.Nel 1923, Luigi Orione (a catholic priest, later Saint Luigi Orione; founder of the “Little Work of Divine Providence”) who dedicated his life to the care and education of the poor, bought the church and the whole area and dedicated it to the education of young orphans to different craft specialties (young artisans, hence the name “artigianelli”). In the 80s of the twentieth century the Don Orione order ceased the education of orphans, and the building was used as a boarding school for young university students. Since the beginning of the XXI century, the center is a hospitality and cultural building in the center of the monumental Venice.